Under State legislation a Building Permit is required before the commencement of most building work. The builder, architect/draftsperson or owner submits the application for a Building Permit. All applications for new buildings, alterations/additions, demolitions and outbuildings must initially be granted development approval in accordance with the provisions of the Shire of Peppermint Grove Town Planning Scheme No 3.
A Building Permit is required for any building work involving the development of new structures, alterations/extensions, refurbishments, and changes in ground levels. These structures include:
- New Dwellings
- Swimming Pools and Spas
- Outbuildings such as Garden sheds/Verandahs/Gazebos/Garages/Workshops/pergolas
- Commercial buildings including fitouts and refurbishments
- Retaining walls
- Additions/extensions to existing dwellings
- Demolition of buildings
Should the total value of work exceed $20,000 a permit is issued to a registered builder, or in some circumstances, an owner builder.
The Building Permit issued for the particular work is void after 12 months from date of issue if the work has not commenced within this time frame.
Requirements for lodging a building permit
All applications for the above projects must initially be granted development approval in accordance with the provisions of the Shire of Peppermint Grove Town Planning Scheme No 3.
Please refer to Requirements for Town Planning Applications for obtaining development approval if Council approval has not already been granted.
All building permit applications require the following information to be submitted:
- Three (3) required sets of plans with:
- at least one set of A3 plans, or
- an electronic copy of the submitted plans.
- two storeys
- a shed/carport/garage that is more than 6m wide
- a retaining wall equal to or greater than 1.0m in height OR
- a commercial/industrial building.
Energy Efficiency measures introduced in July 2003 made it a requirement for all new dwellings and additions to have measures taken to make the use of heating and cooling the dwellings more effective by:
- installation of insulation in the roof space
- having the “R” (insulation) rating of walls meet a predetermined level
- providing breeze paths for ventilation.
Each year, as the Building Code is upgraded, the Energy Efficiency measures will become more important.
Download a building permit:
BA1 – Application Building Permit – Certified
Please refer to the Building Commision website www.buildingcommission.wa.gov.au for more information.
Copies of Building Plans
An owner is generally entitled to view or request copies of the Shire’s Building Records.
The owner can be:
- the person shown on the database as being the owner
- a person who is authorized in writing by the owner.
Photocopying of plans may not necessarily be done on the spot. A decision will be made at the time of viewing.
Building Guidelines Brochures
The following building information brochures and websites can ssist you with your building projects: