Collection Of Domestic Rubbish
Domestic refuse is collected from each property on a weekly basis every Wednesday.
- Bins are to be placed on the verge 0.5metres from the kerb with the lid opening facing the road by 7am. If you have more than one bin place 1 meter apart.
- Bins should be placed this way to ensure that the automatic arm on the collecton vehicles is able to reach, lift and empty.
- Please ensure that bins are not placed under a tree canopy or near parked cars.
Please do not put any of the following into your green bin.
- hot ashes
- oil, paint, solvents*
- bricks, concrete, sand, soil, building materials, steel
- hazardous household waste (petrol, flammable liquids, paints, motor oil & fluids, garden chemicals & poisons, pool chemicals, cleaners, acids, bleaches & ammonia, medicines and gas cylinders)
* Up to 20L or 20kg of household hazardous waste may be dropped off for free at the JFR (Jim) McGeough Resource Recovery Facility.
Rubbish on Verges
Garden refuse, tree cuttings, building materials and any rubbish not in an MGB should not be stored on the road verge. A litter infringement may be issued to those found in contravention of this Local Law.
For further information on the two stream waste collection service, please contact the Shire office on (08) 9286 8600.
Residents are entitled to obtain one tip pass per property, per financial year from the Shire for the JFR (Jim) McGeough Resource Recovery Facility. Each tip pass consists of 3 free standard trailer loads of greenwaste (garden cuttings, tree prunings) and 2 free trailer loads of mixed refuse.
The JFR (Jim) McGeough Resource Recovery Facility is located on the corner of Brockway Road and Lemnos Street in Shenton Park and is open for business Monday to Friday from 7.30am to 3.45pm, Saturday and Sunday 10am to 1pm and Public Holidays from 7.30am to 1pm. Please note the Recovery Facility is closed for business on Christmas Day, New Year Day and Good Friday.
The Facility now includes a recycling drop off facility where residents are able to dispose of bulky or larger quantities of recyclables at no cost.
Each pass entitles the bearer to dispose up to one (1) 6 x 4 trailer of mixed household waste or tree prunings.
Household Hazardous Waste
Household hazardous waste (HHW) are those items which may be flammable, corrosive, reactive or poisonous and should not go into normal kerbside bins.
Peppermint Grove residents may drop off up to 20L or 20kg of household hazardous waste free of charge at the Jim (JFR) McGeough Resource Recovery Facility (cnr Brockway Rd & Lemnos St, Shenton Park).
HHW items accepted include:
- Batteries (car and household): household battery recycling bins are located in the Grove Library and at the recycling station at Cottesloe Bunnings)
- Chemicals: pesticides, herbicides, pool chemicals, bleach, garden chemicals, poisons (S2-S7)
- Coolant and other engine fluids
- Fluorescent globes & tubes (these can be dropped off at the recycling station at Cottesloe Bunnings)
- Gas cylinders
- Motor oil
- Paints and solvents (click here for simple ways to dispose of water-based paint at home)
- For a full list of items that can be accepted, click here
- For further information call 9384 2544 or visit www.wmrc.wa.gov.au